The temperatures are beginning to drop and the nights are becoming colder. Halloween is just around the corner and that means that kids and families will be out trick-or-treating. While Halloween is a fun night for many, Royal Heating & Air knows that there are also some important safety tips you should keep in mind. From making sure your porch is free and clear from hazards, to safely keeping your house warm and cozy, the best HVAC company at the Lake of the Ozarks has some safety tips for you to keep in mind this Halloween.
Heating and Fireplace Safety Tips
Now that the temperatures are dropping, we will be using our furnace and fireplaces more frequently. Making sure they are in good working condition and ready for the colder months is important. If you haven’t had fall maintenance done on your furnace, give Royal Heating & Air a call. Here are some heating and fireplace safety tips to help keep you and your family safe.
- Never use the oven to heat your home.
- Maintain a minimum 3-foot clearance around all heating equipment and open fires, such as space heaters, furnaces, and fireplaces.
- Have a qualified professional clean and inspect your heating equipment and chimneys every year.
- Always inspect the fireplace before use. Make sure there is a sturdy screen to prevent sparks and embers from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before disposing of them in a metal container.
- Ashes should be placed in a metal container, doused with water, and then sealed with a tight lid. Always keep the container a safe distance from your home.
- Don’t forget to turn portable space heaters off before leaving the room or going to bed.
Halloween Safety for Homeowners
Halloween night means that neighborhoods will be packed with kids and families as they go from house to house trick-or-treating. It’s important to make sure your home is safe and ready for trick-or-treaters. Here are a few safety tips that can help you prepare.
- Make sure your front yard, steps, and entryway are well-lit. Turn on all outdoor lights and replace any bulbs that may have burned out.
- Consider adding pathway lights or flashlights if your front yard or walkway needs some extra lighting.
- Highlight any bulging tree roots or other hazards.
- Rake and sweep your walkway, steps, and porch. Remove any tripping hazards.
Halloween Fire Safety Tips
Fire is something we use all the time, but it’s used more frequently on Halloween. From candles inside of jack-o-lanterns, to spooky Halloween decorations, here are some fire safety tips.
- Avoid flammable decorations, such as corn stalks, dried flowers, and crepe paper. If you do decide to use flammable decorations, make sure they are far away from all heat sources, including open flames, light bulbs, and heaters.
- Use battery-operated candles or glow sticks for jack-o-lanterns and candelabras. If you do use real candles, be extremely careful and make sure it is always under adult supervision.
- Keep all entries and exits clear of decorations. Make sure all of your escape routes remain unblocked.
- Use flashlights, battery-operated candles and glow sticks in place of candles or torch lights when decorating walkways and yards.
- Keep all decorations far away from heaters, light bulbs, candles, stovetops, and other heat sources.
- Make sure all of your smoke alarms are up-to-date and working properly.
- Be sure that all extension cords have been rated for “outdoor use”.
Happy Halloween From Royal Heating & Air
Royal Heating & Air hopes you have a fun and safe Halloween! If you haven’t scheduled your fall furnace maintenance, give the best HVAC company at the Lake of the Ozarks a call! You’ll want to make sure your furnace is ready for the cold months ahead!
Royal Heating & Air - "The King of Comfort"
Visit our website: www.RoyalHeatandAir.com
CALL TODAY! (573) 480-4313
CALL TODAY! (573) 480-4313