Why Humidity Is Bad For Your Home
Your home's humidity levels should be around 30 - 50 percent for optimum comfort. When the humidity in your home begins to increase, it starts to get uncomfortable and things can begin to happen in your home.
- Your home will feel hotter. Even when you have your AC set to a comfortable level, when your home has too much moisture, it won't feel that way.
- In addition to your home feeling hot, it will also feel wet. Your sweat won't be able to cool you off because it won't be able to evaporate.
- You may experience sleep problems.
- Mold spores will begin to grow and spread, which could cause health issues.
- Wood will begin to swell and doors can become stuck.
- Your pets will begin to smell. While this isn't a huge deal, nobody wants a stinky pet, especially when it can be prevented!
- Rust and oxidation can occur and when the humidity is high it can speed up the process.
How To Get Rid Of Humidity
- Fix leaky pipes. Check the pipes in your home and fix any leaky ones you may find. In addition, it's also best to remove any condensation from hot or cold pipes with insulation.
- Use fans. Fans will help get the air moving in your home and help with evaporation.
- Change the air filter regularly. When your air filter is dirty, it slows down the air flow in your home, which could result in your home's humidity levels rising.
- Take shorter showers. Long hot showers produce extra steam, which increases the humidity.
- Install a dehumidifier. A dehumidifier offers soothing relief from high humidity and cooling costs. It draws excess moisture from your home's indoor air and lets you feel comfortable without over-cooling your home.
If you are interested in learning more about how you can feel more comfortable in your home, call the "King of Comfort" at 573-480-4313. Royal Heating & Air can help you with everything from preventative maintenance to complete furnace and air conditioning installations. The best heating and cooling company at the Lake of the Ozarks can provide you with affordable, dependable and trustworthy service.