Friday, January 11, 2019

Silent Dangers Of Carbon Monoxide

Heating your home is essential during the winter, but it is important to understand your HVAC equipment. Your furnace and other household appliances can become dangerous quick if not properly maintained. Carbon monoxide leaks are life-threatening and need to be monitored to keep your family safe this winter. Royal Heating & Air is your locally owned and operated full-service HVAC company at Lake of the Ozarks, and we understand that keeping your home safe is a top priority. Your heating and cooling company at Lake of the Ozarks has a few tips on how to understand and prevent a fatal carbon monoxide leak in your home. 

What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is an odorless gas that is less dense than air. Many furnaces are fuel burning, which can cause a leak of carbon monoxide in your home. Once it enters your home, you are susceptible to carbon monoxide poisoning. The carbon monoxide gas can keep you from breathing the oxygen that you need. Many people don't realize they have a leak in their home, and since it doesn't have an odor, many times your symptoms are the only clue you have a problem.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?

  • A dull headache
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Shortness of breath
  • Confusion
  • Blurred Vision
  • Loss of consciousness

How can I prevent a carbon monoxide leak in my home?

One of the most important measures you can take to prevent a carbon monoxide leak is regular maintenance. We recommend having your HVAC unit checked every Spring and Fall to make sure your equipment is operating efficiently without leaks. Regular maintenance is a great way to catch any leaks before they become fatal. It is also recommended to have your fireplace inspected every year. Your fireplace is a source of a potential leak. If your chimney has a blocked flue it can block carbon monoxide from escaping, causing your home to have dangerous levels. You can also install a carbon monoxide detector in your home. Detectors are a great tool to use in addition to regular inspections. Carbon monoxide detectors should be placed on every floor of your home at least five feet off the ground. If possible install one near every sleeping area.

How do I know if my home is leaking carbon monoxide?

If you are unsure if your home has a carbon monoxide leak, we recommend you leave your home immediately. If you have severe symptoms, call 911. If you are not having symptoms but suspect you may have a leak, you can give us a call. We can come inspect your equipment to ensure it is operating correctly. If you notice stains, soot or discoloration on or around your boiler, fireplace or water heater, call us. It could be signs you have a leak. Check your boiler or any other area that has a gas flame. If it normally burns blue and the flame is now yellow or orange, you could have a carbon monoxide leak.

Staying ahead of a leak is crucial. It is a silent killer. Regular inspections and paying attention to your equipment can help stay away of any potential dangers in your home. If you want peace of mind, give us a call and we are happy to look over your HVAC equipment to make sure it is running properly. 

Your HVAC System With Royal Heating & Air

At Royal Heating & Air, we can help with all your HVAC needs including preventative maintenance, repairs and installing new units. Make sure your HVAC unit is working properly by having a professional HVAC technician at the Lake of the Ozarks do regular maintenance. However, when it is time to upgrade, call Royal Heating & Air at 573-480-4313 and we can help you install your new system. 

Royal Heating & Air - "The King of Comfort"

Visit our website:
CALL TODAY! (573) 480-4313


No comments:

Post a Comment