1. Remember to check the air filter monthly and change as necessary. This is a very simple task that can do wonders for your unit. If the filter gets clogged with dust and dirt, the unit will have to work harder and use more energy to keep your house cool. This could potentially overwork your AC unit and damage it. It will also lower the air quality in your home, which could aggravate allergies and asthma.
If you're running your system with a dirty filter, there are a couple major consequences that could happen.
- Short Cycling: When an AC or furnace cycle stops before hitting its temperature goal, it's known as a short cycle. A clogged air filter can cause this by trapping stagnant air inside the system tricking it into stopping the cycle early or forcing it to shut down to avoid overheating. This puts excessive wear on the system components and often leads to unpredictable temperatures in your home.
- Frozen Coils: During the summer season, dirty air filters can trap cooled air inside the HVAC system, which can eventually lead to frost buildup on the condenser and evaporator coils. If the frost continues to build, it could cause the unit to freeze up.
2. Have your HVAC system serviced at least twice per year. While you are able to change out the filter yourself, having your HVAC system serviced requires the professionals. A Lake of the Ozarks HVAC technician can give your entire system a good once-over to make sure everything is operating at peak condition and that there are no damaged parts. If there is anything that needs to be repaired or cleaned, the technician will make sure it gets done correctly. The HVAC system has a lot of moving parts and it's important they get taken care of properly to ensure there are no problems down the line.
3. Don't forget to clean the ducts. While it's important to take care of the HVAC system itself, it's also important not to forget about the ducts themselves. However, ducts don't need regular maintenance, so it's easy to forget to take care of them. Air ducts need to be cleaned and checked every couple of years by a professional. If you suffer from allergies or asthma, you may need to clean them more often. It's best to have your air ducts checked every couple of years to get rid of any dust or grime that accumulated over the years and to ensure there isn't any leakage.
If you need help ensuring your AC unit can last you until the end of the summer season, contact Royal Heating & Air at 573-480-4313. We can take a look at your AC unit and ensure everything is working the way it should.