Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Watch Out for Carbon Monoxide This Season

In Missouri, heating your home in the winter season is something everyone has to do to stay safe and comfortable in below freezing temperatures. Keeping your home warm can become dangerous if you're not careful and diligent about maintaining your furnace. The furnace, as well as other household appliances, can cause carbon monoxide leaks that could be life threatening to you and your family. Royal Heating & Air is the best HVAC company at the Lake of the Ozarks, so we are brining you important tips on how to stay safe. Keep reading to learn all about carbon monoxide and how you can prevent this dangerous substance from threatening your family! 

What Is It?

Carbon monoxide is an odorless gas that is less dense than air. Many furnaces are fuel-burning, which is a process that produces carbon monoxide. If your system is malfunctioning or has a leak, then the carbon monoxide can seep into your home and cause very serious problems, even death. Once it enters your home, you are susceptible to carbon monoxide poisoning. The carbon monoxide gas can fill your lungs and prevent you from being able to breathe the oxygen that you need. Many people don't realize they have a leak in their home because it doesn't have an odor. As a result, your symptoms may be the only clue that you have a problem.

What are the Symptoms?

  • A dull headache
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Shortness of breath
  • Confusion
  • Blurred Vision
  • Loss of consciousness
If you are experiencing this symptoms and suspect you may have a carbon monoxide leak in your home, leave the house immediately and call 911. Get outside so your lungs can breathe fresh, oxygenated air again and expel any carbon monoxide you may have inhaled. It's important that everyone in the home evacuate the house as well, including pets. If your exposure was extensive enough, you may require hospitalization. Investing in a carbon monoxide detector is a great idea to keep your family safe from this kind of emergency.

Do I Have a Leak?

If you are unsure whether or not your home has a carbon monoxide leak, we recommend you leave your home immediately. If you have severe symptoms, call 911. If you are not having symptoms but suspect you may have a leak, you can give us a call. We can come inspect your equipment to ensure it is operating correctly. If you notice stains, soot, or discoloration on or around your boiler, fireplace, or water heater - call us! It could mean you have a leak. Check your boiler or any other area that has a gas flame. If it normally burns blue and the flame is now yellow or orange, you could have a carbon monoxide leak.

Staying ahead of a leak is crucial. It is a silent killer. Regular inspections and paying attention to your equipment can help prevent potential dangers in your home. If you want peace of mind, give us a call and we will be more than happy to look over your HVAC equipment to make sure it is running properly. 

Preventing a Leak

One of the most important measures you can take to prevent a carbon monoxide leak is regular maintenance. We recommend having your HVAC unit checked every spring and fall to make sure your equipment is operating efficiently without leaks. Regular HVAC maintenance is a great way to catch any leaks before they become fatal. It is also recommended to have your fireplace inspected every year. Your fireplace can be a potential source of carbon monoxide. If your chimney has a blocked flue it can trap the carbon monoxide produced from burning, causing your home to accumulate dangerous levels. You can also install a carbon monoxide detector in your home. Detectors are a great tool to use in addition to regular inspections. Carbon monoxide detectors should be placed on every floor of your home at least five feet off the ground. If possible, install one near every sleeping area.

HVAC at the Lake of the Ozarks

Royal Heating & Air is here for you in every season. This winter, if you are concerned about whether or not your furnace is running correctly, give us a call! We can come help make sure everything is running smoothly to help reduce the risk of carbon monoxide leaks. 

Royal Heating & Air - "The King of Comfort"

Visit our website:

CALL TODAY! (573) 480-4313

No comments:

Post a Comment